Who ‘gets it’ on estate tax? This fellow does

Return the estate-tax debate to the real world.

One former congressman gets it. We will soon find out how many of our current members of Congress do as well.

Former U.S. Congressman Berkley Bedell from northwest Iowa writes in today’s Des Moines Register that eliminating the estate tax would compound tax policy mistakes that only allow the super-rich to get richer and richer.

On an issue distorted beyond recognition by emotional, inaccurate and at best disingenuous arguments made by those who would do away with the estate tax, Bedell is a breath of fresh air.

In his column, Bedell offers the relevant questions:

Do we want to properly pay our teachers and make it possible for our young people to attend college regardless of their family’s wealth? Do we want to build an economy where common people can have jobs and provide for their families? Do we want to attack our dependence upon Mideast oil and the pollution of our planet? Do common people matter? Or do we want to mostly help the top 1 percent of our population become richer and richer and own more and more of our country by cutting their taxes so that we put their wealth ahead of the lives of the other 99 percent of our people?

Bedell is right on the mark.

Return the estate-tax debate to the real world of our budget choices of what we need as a nation, and how we should pay for it.

Posted by Mike Owen, Assistant Director

Author: iowapolicypoints

The Iowa Policy Project is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization that provides research and analysis to engage Iowans in state policy decisions. We focus on tax and busget issues, the Iowa economy, and energy and environmental policy. By providing a foundation of fact-based, objective research and engaging the public in an informed discussion of policy alternatives, IPP advances effective, accountable and fair government.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s